question

Dave avatar image
Dave asked

Am I correct that I cant use the Victron Connect Windows app with my Victron Bluetooth enabled devices?

Am I correct that I cant use the Victron Connect Windows app with my Victron Bluetooth enabled devices? Why is that? My laptop can pair with my BMS and charge controllers but they dont show up in the Windows app.

VictronConnect
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

friaras avatar image friaras commented ·
Hello, it has been some time are there any updates on this? I would love to be able to use a mini PC to monitor all my Victron devices, not android devices but a mini PC with multiple windows and also be able to run the Cervo software too and merge all the data into one large screen, and little sugar on top please!
0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ friaras commented ·
It is still not possible and I guess it will never.

To monitor all your devices use a GX device or raspberry Pi with Venus OS and the VRM portal.

0 Likes 0 ·
18 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hello DMS1,

I can confirm, VictronConnect does not support bluetooth on Windows.

We would love it too. We have no interest in selling USB cables and would much rather everything work smoothly through bluetooth across all platforms.

It will come - but can’t promise when

(EDITED BY MV - I removed the Qt part)

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Dave avatar image Dave commented ·

OK, Thanks for the explanation.

0 Likes 0 ·
dave-1 avatar image dave-1 Dave commented ·

Seriously?? This is super lame.

1 Like 1 ·
eddierrr avatar image eddierrr commented ·

It has been almost a year. Any updates on this?

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi all, Guy asked me to post an update on this:

VictronConnect is using a software framework, Qt, which first didnt support Bluetooth Low Energy at all on windows, and now does so- but still with some (for us) critical missing pieces.

so to answer a few of the comments in this thread:

- no we havent quit working on it. we’re trying and developing using the Qt library updates, getting close and closer. And waiting for them to bring it far enough so we can finish it.

- timeline: no sorry, no time line. A gut feeling guess would be late this year in beta - but that is just that: a gut feeling guess.

- yes your windows laptop will be able to pair them, and still unfortunately we can’t use them. At least not straightforward enough for is to have done it yet: as a cynic with somw sw dev. knowledge might say: qt framework doesnt perse need to hold you back. Why not do it yourself or fix the qt framework yourslelf? Answer is priorities and effort needed by top developer to pull that off; and not just make it work, but make it work super reliably etc.

- HC05 module; see above.

concluding: At some point we’ll for sure have this working on Windows, but unfortunately not yet.

UPDATE 2020-07-24: contrary to above, currently I no longer expect this to be ready this year. Not even in beta.

3 comments
2 |3000

wilhelm-moser avatar image wilhelm-moser commented ·

2020-07-28
Windows 10 Home 32bit
SmartSolar 75/15
Windows BT shows devices
VictronConnect NOPE
---------------
Fixing is scheduled for????

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ wilhelm-moser commented ·

Its not scheduled. My above post explains the technical background for why it doesnt work yet. I dont like it either, but it is what it is. Sorry.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Ps - Earlier I hoped for/expected a solution this year, but still nothing; so I added an update saying so in my above msg.

0 Likes 0 ·
mikesmultimedia avatar image
mikesmultimedia answered ·

Date: June 20, 2023

I actually thought I could run VictronConnect on my Microsoft Surface Pro 8 today. However, after actually downloading the app to my SP8, and launching it, I wasn't able to find any of my Victron Smart Devices. I quick search today, revealed to me this is an ongoing issue unable to be accomplished as of the date of this post?

Really Victron?

If Microsoft and Windows are restricting you from developing software to run your VictronConnect app, due to Bluetooth issues, then just create your own Bluetooth dongle connectable through a standard USB port, and and allow us to bypass this logjam now, while you and Microsoft figure it out going on three years now?

Yep, just create your own Bluetooth USB transmitter/receiver, or, let us know which one will work because there are so many third party Bluetooth USB devices out there (I think I have one in a box somewhere I never use, but will try now that we are talking about I), I'm sure you can figure it out while you develop the silver bullet platform for us to stay in touch with our BT Victron smart devices.

I will use it in my CamperVan, from my Microsoft Surface Pro 8, connected to my 43inch LG Smart TV.

Incidentally, and on a side note. I just sent an email to your sales@victronenergy.com contact requesting if and when you will have, or be permitted to install a VictronConnect Smart TV app to an LG Smart TV or other Smart TV.

Looks like you got your software/hardware Bluetooth multiplatform device development work cut out for you.

But we have confidence in Victron eventually making this happen?

Thanks

2 |3000

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Some light relief thanks @snoobler

It's been a few years since I have posted on this topic, nothing at all has changed, but I suppose it has now been long enough that also deserves a mention.

To the criticisms, yes, most are justified.

We knew when selecting the QT framework that the absence of bluetooth LE support on windows was a known limitation. At the time it was acceptable given the other advantages of QT for cross platform development.

There is no cross platform development kit that supports all features on all platforms, it's one of those inherent limitations. The huge advantage of having a single app maintained by a single team that is able to support iPhone, iPads, Macs, Androids and Windows vastly outweighed that specific limitation (annoying though it is for those customers affected).

From all public documentation at the time it appeared that the specific windows bluetooth LE limitation would be addressed at the framework level by QT. That was the basis on which any historical encouraging statements by Victron were made.

This has spectacularly failed to happen, first the versions were pushed, and then more recently no expectations at all.

I don't know the details why, nor is Victron in a software development position to work around it with a custom windows implementation. That last part is a choice we've had to make, as we do with so many features and feature requests. While it would be really nice to have it, in almost all cases it is also possible for installers to use one of the alternatives (usually iPhone or Android), so it cannot be prioritised above other issues where there is no workaround.

I am not saying never, but I am now somehow even less certain of this feature getting added any time soon than I was 2 years ago.

I also appreciate those who have articulated other workarounds in this thread, that's the kind of passion and initiative that I love about Victron and our customers.

We certainly wish the feature existed, we also expected it to have been available by now, and apologies to those now and in the future who just expected it to work.

Hopefully the next update is better news.

2 |3000

Bill avatar image
Bill answered ·

For some unknown reason you need to buy their USB to VE Direct Cable to view on windows. I don't understand that either. But thats how it is today. -Bill

1 comment
2 |3000

Dave avatar image Dave commented ·

Weird. I hope they change that, seems they are just trying sell USB cables as my laptop sees all three Victron BT devices and pairs with them, but the VictronConnect software does not detect them.

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

You might be able to use a Android emulation program on the windows system and thus run the victron connect inside that emulation.

could be worth a try, but will be a did of mucking around

https://www.androidauthority.com/best-android-emulators-for-pc-655308/

Who uses emulators?

There are three main uses for emulators. The first is the most common and it’s for gaming. Gamers can use emulators on their computers to make some games easier to play. They don’t have to rely on the battery life of their devices and the existence of macros and other tricks help the process. In most cases, these little tricks aren’t illegal (in most games) so nobody really has a problem with it. The best Android emulators for gaming include Bluestacks, MeMu, KoPlayer, and Nox.

The second most common use case is development. Android app and game developers like to test apps and games on as many devices a possible before launch. Usually the Android Studio emulator is fine for this kind of work. However, Xamarin and Genymotion are excellent for this type of use as well.

1 comment
2 |3000

cottersay avatar image cottersay commented ·
All of the Android emulators CANNOT access Bluetooth. Absurd? Yes!
0 Likes 0 ·
scotsblood avatar image
scotsblood answered ·

Six months on from the original response is there any idea of timescale for this functionality?

2 |3000

kpalmergp avatar image
kpalmergp answered ·

@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) I would very much like an update on this subject. Being able to connect one or more BMV712 to a Windows laptop via Bluetooth would add huge value for us. USB or serial is really undesirable.

2 comments
2 |3000

kpalmergp avatar image kpalmergp commented ·

We found we could connect the VE.Direct directly to an HC-05 Bluetooth to UART module. The module needed an AT command to set the baud rate to that of the BMV-700 and to check the correct mode was set. On windows the Bluetooth connection is set to appear as a standard COM port.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ kpalmergp commented ·

Cool trick! I can see how that can work indeed.

0 Likes 0 ·
dave-1 avatar image
dave-1 answered ·

As former software engineer, I'm guessing that you guys have quit working to solve this problem. Otherwise, it would not be taking this long. Am I wrong?

2 |3000

victronlfs avatar image
victronlfs answered ·

Don't know if this will be helpful or not, but Windows 10 now has the ability to link to your android phone (and probably tablet). May be brand specific though. I'm a Samsung guy & this feature is letting me see & use every app on my Note 9. So, while I haven't tried dragging my desktop out to my van yet, I'm guessing that a Windows 10 laptop would work.

1600122366198.png (119.4 KiB)
2 |3000

detex avatar image
detex answered ·

Been another year, any progress?

2 |3000

sgu avatar image
sgu answered ·

I've just bought a new battery charger BSC IP67 and plan to buy another charger and more stuff from Victron, if it works fine. The Android App with Bluetooth works fine, but that it still does not work with Windows App after many years is very annoying. So the decision must be: Forget about Qt or forget about Bluetooth !!

I would propose to forget about Bluetooth and change to implement WLAN or WiFi. Just as IOT works.

Create a local webserver on the devices and let the WiFi create a hotspot. So the users can access the devices with the browser on the local devices using WLAN / WiFi and independent of the device (Android, Windows or whatever) and independet of updates on their computer-devices.

Then let the user configure the devices to connect to existing WiFi Networks, so the devices an be accessed remotely and not only just beside the device.

As next step create a web api so the devices cna be integrated in home-or industrial automation systems or in a cloud application. So the data can be synchronized into a cloud database. The end-users then can access the cloud data using again the browser, with all devices, independent of updates or changes on the operating systems. No more issues with the Victron App when a Mac update, a windows update or an Android update happens, because users will use the browser only.

Such a system could also protect the devices and alarm if any values go out of a normal range.

If you would provide such a system, I certainly would use it and also pay a fee for use of such a system, it would also be strong sell argument to buy more Victron devices, because all can be integrated into one system.

On the other hand, you would also learn a lot of your products that are in use while getting statistical data of the baterries or devices that are connected to your cloud.

As an example for such a system, check the Shelly devices from allterco robotics. They do exactly the same. The devices have a local webserver for configuration control and data display and there is the cloud shelly.cloud or my.shelly.cloud. plus an android app, But for Windows-Users we can just use the browser.

If you would have invested the time and money that was spent with the Qt Problems, you would already have products that are Wifi enabled or cloud enabled.

The alternative would be to create a device that acts as a bridge between the locally bluetooth connected devices and the cloud. So you would not have to change the bluetooth enabled Victron devices to make them connect to the internet.

If you won't do that step, I don't see an advantage of having victron devices with bluetooth.

3 comments
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·
Hi @SGU

Maybe you should get to know the Victron offerings a little better. From a product range of like 1000 items, some are just bits'n'pieces, some with no comms, some with BT for the phone-addicted, others with wires for a central hub (several types of 'GX' hub), and then their cloud (VRM, which is free).

Uses range from a little battery charger that you kick around the garage floor, all the way through to massive industrial systems. Many mission-critical, so wire often favoured.

All this stuff under continual development. Victron understand the need for that, so it continues incessantly. Their own wishlist must be massive.

I use a 5kW system and access everything from a Win lappy. Monitoring, setting changes, firmware updates, cloud, Everything. And I haven't seen better elsewhere. Just waiting for it here, it's coming.. :)

Take a look too at the Modifications section of this forum to see what people do (or want to) with their Victron kit.

0 Likes 0 ·
sgu avatar image sgu JohnC ♦ commented ·

Dear John.

I agree partially on what you have said. Victron has a lot of offerings and there is also the VRM cloud. So far so good.

My post is about the missing Bluetooth connectivity for the Victron Windows App.

It might be better to have NO Windows App for the bluetooth devices, than an app that is not working ! And without a clear progress or strategy for years.

It just puts a bad image on the Victron company and their devices, even if they are very good.

Yesterday I've setup a "remote access" for the bluetooth charger. Having a Tinkerboard with Android next to the charger and now I access the android device using anydesk for the remote screen access.

1 Like 1 ·
David avatar image David sgu commented ·

The idea of having "NO Windows App for the bluetooth devices" would be a disaster. You would be removing the ability for countless people to use their Windows Computers to monitor and control all their VE.Direct devices which are visible via VRM (be they Bluetooth or not).

I rarely use the SmartApp on my phone to connect to my BMV-712 or either of my SmartSolar MPPTs, but use the single VE.Connect on the PC instead to make changes to these, as well as the non-BT VE.Direct BMVs that are visible on VRM.

Sorry, but just because YOU have no use for an Application does not mean it is no good and should not exist. As far as it giving Victron a bad name, the added feature Victron introduced to allow VE.Connect on the PC to communicate with any wire-connected VE.Direct device was a brilliant idea and one I would sorely miss now I have got used to it.

1 Like 1 ·
friaras avatar image
friaras answered ·

Yeah most definitely, I really hate to be loading apps on a phone, I'm older so my eyes are not that good, so I prefer big screens with big letters and numbers. Right now I have 2 x10" android tablets next to each other so I can monitor the charge controller and the smart shunt, is basically all I need to know but would love to be able to monitor both devices in one bigger screen such as a PC monitor. I can't hook up to them via cables because my PC is located elsewhere and walls and floors in between, A WIFI connection would be perfect and I really can't afford the nice screens and such that Victron has to offer. Being able to connect and monitor data would be great for folks in my situation.

2 |3000

ashrun4fun-1 avatar image
ashrun4fun-1 answered ·

Please someone tell me you've come up with a reliable work around for this!!

This is incredibly disappointing as I recently purchased $3k worth of Victron components and installed a full LiFePO4 house battery system and all new wiring in our boat (months of reconfiguring) only to learn that I couldn't monitor my system on my existing laptop running Windows. I too can't be pulling up an app on my phone to look at these as my eyes just can't take it. My rep had no idea I wouldn't be able to use the Victron Connect app on my laptop (as was indicated in my schematics all along) ...as it is somewhat hidden in the fine print and doesn't actually appear until you've loaded the app on the computer and look for your components...then a little message pops up saying, You can't connect to Victron Bluetooth devices with a Windows based computer. PSYCHE!! I about dropped my teeth!! This should be in BOLD PRINT on every Bluetooth device that Victron sells as I consider this deceptive. And to make matters worse, the "smart" shunt won't even connect on my phone unless I leave the helm and practically sit on the batteries...which is odd in that the dc/dc chargers and smart dongle, all mounted within inches of each other both read from anywhere in the boat (47' boat) While I do LOVE the new Battleborn batteries and the system has been up and running great all summer, this is not a small disappointment and has me looking for other options that don't include shelling out more money to Victron. While I've read this thread and others and appreciate the early on responses by some Victron reps, this issue seems to have fallen off their radar and as stated earlier should be made VERY clear on all of their Bluetooth enabled components so as not to continue to deceive future buyers.

1 comment
2 |3000

Trevor Bird avatar image Trevor Bird commented ·

@ashrun4fun@aol.com Yes as suggested install a CerboGX and simply use that. It is quite powerful I think and represents very good value for money. Not only can you see the devices at one location but you have access to the VRM, (Virtual Remote Monitoring) a cloud based monitoring system that provides configurable monitoring to suit your requirements and best of all it is totally free of charge. That can be accessed by any web browser.

0 Likes 0 ·
ludo avatar image
ludo answered ·

Install a cerbo-gx and remote-control this over ethernet/wifi on your pc. You don't even need one of the touchpanels, just the base unit and some wiring. If your dealer promised your access over pc, you might get him to pay for it;)

2 |3000

alexspecht avatar image
alexspecht answered ·

I have my Android Phone Synced via BT with my Victron Smart Network.

The Phone is connected via USB to my Windows 11 PC.

I use scrcpy which mirrors the Android Screen on the PC, https://github.com/Genymobile/scrcpy

A Windows Bluetooth solution would be nice, but this works pretty good, like today I was running a bunch of stuff on my PC and other devices and I could see that the solar panel was handling the load easily.

2 |3000

okitsdavid avatar image
okitsdavid answered ·

Hello Guy, hello Mvader,

after those 3.55 yrs a follow-up customer question is totally in order:

- I too downloaded the Win app for Victron Connect, thanks

- But for me too it (still) greets soon with sth to the effect of "you downloaded this huge file in vain: Despite that we have kept this download available for all these years, the app cannot actually do anything, still (except if you get some kind of "cable"), sorry about that"

- I am unsure why you initially back then tried the app with a "framework" that other apps that successfully integrate bluetooth don't use, but is there any improvement in the meantime, with or without that framework?

- For countless reasons, for customers a Win app is superior to an Android app.

- I too would love that Victron Connect can be used on Win, now.

- I cannot use a "cable" (tripping hazard here), sorry, besides that I see *nothing* on my Victron where one could plug in a cable at all (CC 100/15, for the 3 rear wall panels)

- Other than that I cannot actually use the Win app, the Victron itself worked well today on its first day, and I loved to be able to enter my own battery charging settings through the android app (one increases LiFePo4 Lifetime significantly by NOT charging at voltage pressures as high as 13.8V (seemingly its default for float charge). Same with bulk charge. So, I could change that, nice. (Equalization too is nonsense for Lifepo4)

- To my surprise (I thought it is "marketing blah-blah"), the Victron indeed was charging well despite VERY fluid irradiation conditions today (upcoming spring weather), meaning its MPPT tracking IS fast indeed. Thank you. :)

- Not to forget the initial question above, please

1 comment
2 |3000

Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·
Your charge controller has a VE.Direct port, which is where you would connect a VE.Direct USB cable should you require to connect the unit to a Windows computer.

VictronConnect still is incredibly useful on Windows machines, for instance to program a MultiPlus or other inverter/charger... just, with a wired connection rather than a bluetooth one.

Sadly, Victron cannot control Microsoft's stance on sharing the necessary BT protocols necessary to make BT connection on a Windows machine possible.

0 Likes 0 ·
snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

I know. Not the point, but I will convey that VC on windows is VERY useful for accessing GX VE.Direct connected devices. I use it regularly for my smartsolar 250/100 as well as my BMV-702 - which doesn't have BT.

2 |3000

Related Resources